Friday, March 28, 2008

New Job Offer

We i have been informally offered a job as a financial advisor for Northwestern Mutual here in Provo. I know they are a big firm and i think that the job would be a lot of fun for me and i could do well at it. I want to know what everyone else thinks of it as well. I don't know that much about Northwestern Mutual and if anyone else does that would be great. The down sides of the job are that is it still 100% commission and that means that starting out i wouldn't make very much money. Also there are no real benefits as far as health, life, dental, 401k to speak of. Also there is no guarantee that i would make any money at all i guess. On the up side of things, it is a more respected job then a mortgage broker so i could move to another company in the future easier, Also according to them any advisers that are still with them for at least three years is making at least $100k a year. They did tell me that only about 1 in 3 make it to the 3-5 year range. IF you make it 5 years then you have made it and will be making 150k-200k a year. I know money is not everything and that the lifestyle and my personal fulfillment is maybe more important then the money and that part of the job would be great. I would be making my own schedule and work when i want to work. And i think it is something that would challenge me and i would really enjoy doing. But if it was all about doing what makes me happy then i would be a broke fisherman that lived in a Mobile home going to fishing tournaments. So i would love to know what you all think about this. And pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.